How to transition existing MBR volumes to GPT
The steps to take in achieving this are as follows for a 1×1 configuration. The volumes in the example will be E and F:
- In Server A, create 2 new mirrors. One from volume E to one of the new volumes (e.g. volume X), and another from volume F to the other new volume (e.g. volume Y).
- See Disk-to-Disk replication
Once both mirrors have fully synced, proceed to delete the mirrors as volumes that are used for Disk-to-Disk replication can’t also be configured to replicate to another system.
To delete the mirrors:
- Select the job that contains the mirror you want to delete
- Right-click on the mirror and choose “Delete Mirror” or select “Delete Mirror” from the Actions task pane
- Select Yes to delete the mirror
- The mirror will be deleted and removed from the associated job
- Once the mirrors have been deleted, create another 2 new mirrors, this time from Server A to Server B
- Ensure that the new volumes on B share the same letters as those on A (e.g. volume X and Y), as well as other considerations from the documentation:
See Creating a Mirror
OR, transition existing mirrors using MBR volumes to GPT volumes in a 1×1×1 configuration:
- In DataKeeper for Volume E “Pause and Unlock All Mirrors”
- On the Targets, Server B and Server C, in Disk Management, Delete Volume . . .
- On the Targets, Server B and Server C, in Disk Management, create the partitions as GPT
- Once the sizes has been verified, select “Continue and Lock All Mirrors”
- The mirror will enter into a Resyncing state in the DataKeeper UI
Once the mirrors have completed their FULL resync on Server B & Server C, in Failover Clustering perform a move of your Role/Resource.
Now Server B or Server C becomes a Source and you can use the aforementioned steps to change Volume E on Server A from MBR to GPT.
Does DataKeeper Support GPT (GUID Partition Table) Partitions?
Yes, DataKeeper supports GPT (GUID Partition Table) partitions.
Mirroring can be accomplished via the following partitioning schemes:
- MBR to GPT
- GPT to GPT