During a review of the current releases of SIOS Protection Suite for Windows and DataKeeper Cluster Edition, we discovered a memory leak issue in ExtMirrSvc.exe within DataKeeper.
This issue is limited to SIOS Protection Suite for Windows and DataKeeper versions 8.8.0 and 8.8.1.
The memory leak issue exhibits the following symptoms:
- Switchover fails when attempting to switch between nodes
- Failover fails to execute
- Error in App Log: Error 8: “Not enough storage is available to process this command.”
- Event ID 32: While attempting to create thread: “GUI Thread”, error 8 was encountered on line #### in file: “GuiThread.cpp”:
- ExtMirrSvc.exe accumulates large amounts of memory
- EMCMD commands fail to execute (or produce expected results)
Version 8.8.2 is available and contains the fix. We recommend that customers using SIOS Protection Suite for Windows or DataKeeper Cluster Edition 8.8.0 or 8.8.1 upgrade to version 8.8.2 immediately.
Immediate Steps to Take
To eliminate the memory leak issue before the maintenance release is available, please implement the following workaround immediately on each of your systems running SIOS Protection Suite for Windows or DataKeeper Cluster Edition v8.8.0 and v8.8.1 releases.
- Disable Status Updates in the DataKeeper Notification Icon (EmTray) using the following steps:
• Right click on the DataKeeper Notification Icon. You will see the following menu:
• Select “Disable Status Updates”
- Stop the DataKeeper GUI after use (by clicking on the X in the upper right corner)
- Stop the DataKeeper Service. Open Task Manager. Go to the Details Tab. Click on ExtMirrSvc.exe and click the End Task button. The DataKeeper service should restart automatically.
- Verify with Task Manager that the DataKeeper Service (ExtMirrSvc.exe) restarts automatically. If it does not, Open Services and restart SIOS DataKeeper. Also, under DataKeeper Service Properties, go to the Recovery Tab and change “Second failure” and “Subsequent failures” to “Restart the Service”. Click Apply and OK.
If you have questions or would like assistance with implementing the workaround, please contact the support team by email at email@example.com. We look forward to continuing to serve you, our valued customer.