On the Primary Server
- Use the Windows Disk Management tool to configure your disk resources and define the replicated volumes that you want to use. (Be sure the volume size is adequate.)
- It is recommended that you use Windows Explorer to unshare from the network all volumes to be used by SQL Server.
- Configure your networking to support the SIOS Protection Suite TCP/IP comm path(s) and, if applicable, the switchable IP address.
- Install the SIOS Protection Suite Core software on a local disk followed by the SIOS Protection Suite SQL Server Recovery Kit.
- Install the SIOS DataKeeper software to the local disk now. Refer to the SIOS Protection Suite for Windows Installation Guide for details.
- Using the LifeKeeper GUI, create comm paths between the primary and backup servers.
- In SIOS Protection Suite, create your IP communication resource and extend them to the backup server. Later when you create your SQL Server resource hierarchy, SIOS Protection Suite will automatically bring the resource into the hierarchy as a dependency.
On the Backup Server
- Bring the volume resource hierarchy In Service using the LifeKeeper GUI.
- Install Microsoft SQL Server using the following guidelines:
- Install the database engine, along with any additional features. Configure the instance data and log files so that they are stored on volumes that are protected by the SIOS Protection Suite.
- When installation is complete, use Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Manager to verify that SQL Server can start properly on the backup server. Stop all Microsoft SQL Services on the backup server. Note: For replicated volumes, you may wish to move the SQL tempdb database to a volume that is not protected by SIOS Protection Suite to improve performance.
- Install Microsoft SQL Server on the primary server EXACTLY as you did on the backup server (program files on the local disk and data files on the replicated volume).
- When installation is complete, use Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Manager to verify that SQL Server can start properly on the primary server.
On the Primary Server
- Bring the Communication resource into service on the primary server.
- Start the SQL Server Services on the primary server.
- Create the SQL Server hierarchy on the primary server and extend it to the backup server. During the Extend Volume Resource process, choose Create Replicated Mirror then select Next to complete the wizard and finish the configuration. See Creating the SQL Hierarchy for details.
Test the new SQL Server hierarchy by performing a manual failover.
Thanks for your feedback.