- Prepare the servers.
Install Windows Server 2008 R2/2012 Core on two servers, configure IP, join a domain, configure firewall for remote administration, configure the server for remote access and install the Failover Cluster feature.
Server Core Installation Option Getting Started Guide
Configuring a Server Core Installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 with Sconfig.cmd
Install and Deploy Windows Server 2012
- Install SIOS DataKeeper.
Run the SIOS DataKeeper (DK) setup.exe from the command line on both servers. Make sure you choose to install the DataKeeper core services only, not the DataKeeper GUI.
- An email should have been received containing the license file(s). It is recommended that this file be renamed to the YYYYMMDD.lic format to distinguish the day the license was activated. Once received, copy the license file(s) to the appropriate directory.
• On each system, copy the file(s) to:
%windir%\sysWOW64\LKLicense (ex. c:\windows\SysWOW64\LKLicense)
Note: If the LKLicense directory does not already exist, it will need to be created prior to copying the files.
- On a management server (or Vista workstation with “Remote Server Admin Tools” installed), install the DataKeeper GUI console only.
- Using the management server’s DataKeeper GUI, connect to the new core only servers and create a “job” with a mirror of the data volumes.
- Using the management server, create the WSFC cluster.
- Change the quorum mode to Node Majority if deploying an odd number of nodes or Node and File Share Majority if deploying an even number of nodes. Refer to the appropriate Microsoft documentation for official guidance on quorum configurations in a multi-site environment.
Configuring the Quorum in a Failover Cluster
- Add the DataKeeper ClusterCluster Edition resource to the cluster.
Note: The example below assumes you want to add the E drive mirror to your Hyper-V resource.
Start Powershell on the primary core only server and enter the following commands:
• Import-Module FailoverClusters
• Add-ClusterResource -Name “DataKeeper Volume E” -ResourceType “DataKeeper Volume” -Group “<name of Hyper-V resource>”
• Get-ClusterResource “DataKeeper Volume E” | Set-ClusterParameter VolumeLetter E
- Add your resource to Windows Server Failover Clustering to make it highly available (HA)
To make a Hyper-V VM HA – Hyper-V: Using Hyper-V and Failover Clustering
- Finally, if not already done in the previous step, add the DataKeeper replicated storage to your resource to complete the dependency creation and setup.