The procedure for changing the Network Interface Card (NIC) will interrupt the web service. The basic reason for this is that the LifeKeeper IP hierarchy data includes the NIC model number. That piece of data cannot easily be changed, so the procedure is to remove and reinstall the Switchable IP addresses by doing the following:
- Use the LifeKeeper GUI to remove protection from all IIS resources by taking them out of service, then deleting the hierarchies.
- Stop all IIS services, including those on the backup server(s). All IIS services are now out of service.
- Delete all IP hierarchies (be sure to save the configuration data in a notebook).
- Shut down the server, replace the NIC, and then reboot the server.
- Create all IP hierarchies again.
- Bring the IP hierarchies In Service on each Web site’s primary server.
- On the primary server, start the IIS services again. The Web sites are now in-service again.
- On each web server’s primary server, use the LifeKeeper GUI to re-create the IIS resource hierarchy.