The next step is to configure Microsoft IIS on all the servers in your cluster.
Install and Configure Microsoft IIS Web or FTP Site
To create a Web site or FTP site pair, you need to add a new site on each server and configure the pair to be identical, or you can choose to protect the Default Web and FTP sites:
- Use the LifeKeeper GUI to bring the switchable IP address and protected Volume resource, if any, in-service on the primary server.
- Launch the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager (from Administrative Tools in the Program menu). You will use this interface to create the primary and backup sites.
- Launch the New Web Site Wizard and enter the Site Name or Description, remembering that the name must be identical on both primary and backup servers.
- Web site only: Enter the TCP port and Host Header fields. They will need to be identical on primary and backup servers.
- Select or enter the Switchable IP Address for the Web site Note that a protected switchable IP address may not appear in the drop-down list if it is out-of-service, but you can type it in. The IP address for the web site must be identical on primary and backup servers.
- Web site only: If you plan on configuring your Web sites with multiple identities, enter the switchable IP address in the IP Address field for each multiple identity.
- The Home Directory or Physical Path for the site can be local (not protected by LifeKeeper) or LifeKeeper shared or replicated storage may be used. If using shared or replicated storage, the volume must be in-service and this directory must already exist.
- Web site only: Select your Web Site Access Permissions.
- Ensure the Microsoft IIS site is started, and then test it to ensure it is accessible and working properly before proceeding with web site setup on the backup server.
- Use the LifeKeeper GUI to bring the switchable IP address(es) and protected volume(s), if any, in-service on the backup server.
- Repeat steps 2-10 to create the site on the backup server. Remember that the Web or FTP site pairs must be identical on the primary and backup servers.
Once you have created and configured all your IIS sites, do the following:
- Use the LifeKeeper GUI to bring the switchable IP address and protected volume, if any, in-service on their primary server(s).
- Use the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager to start the primary site(s) on their primary server(s), and stop the backup sites on the backup servers.
If your protected FTP site will not permit anonymous logins, the LifeKeeper deep check process must be configured to perform non-anonymous logins. See Protecting FTP Sites with Non-Anonymous Login for more information.
If you wish to create an SMTP Virtual Server, then proceed to Install and Configure SMTP Virtual Server. Otherwise, you are ready to add LifeKeeper protection to the Internet servers by configuring one or more IIS resource hierarchies.