If you do NOT see your mirror(s) listed as Available Storage, they are NOT Highly Available –
Return to an elevated command prompt (on the Source) and proceed with the following 3 steps:
- cd %extmirrbase% (Shortcut to the DataKeeper Directory)
- emcmd . registerclustervolume (drive letter)
- Your output should reflect “Status = 0“
Once mirror(s) are highly available using the steps above (if needed), return to Failover Cluster Manager\Storage\Disk. The mirror(s) should be listed as “Available Storage”
Now you’re in a position to Create an Empty Role.
- Launch Failover Cluster Manager
- Right click on Roles and select “Create Empty Role”
- A default role called “New Role” will be created
- Rename “New Role” to “DataKeeper Service”
- Return to Storage\Disks…Available Storage
- Right click the Volume/Available Storage, More Actions, Assign to Another Role…
- Select the Role that you’ve created in Step 3 or in this instance, “DataKeeper Service”
Note: The DataKeeper Mirror(s) has been assigned to the role you have created, thus the DataKeeper Volume(s) are now Highly Available.
This can be tested by:
- Right clicking the role/DataKeeper Service\Move\Select Node…
- Select any other servers/nodes available in your cluster, then OK.
Perform another Move to ensure the Role and its related resources/DataKeeper, switch back successfully.