To ensure that your LifeKeeper configuration provides the protection and flexibility you require you’ll need to be aware of the configuration requirements. To appropriately plan your configuration you must understand Amazon, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud, (VPC), Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2™), and the user system setup hierarchy options. In addition to planning your configuration, this section also includes the specific tasks required to configure your recovery kit.
Specific Configuration Considerations for Amazon EC2™
In order to properly configure your Recovery Kit for EC2™ you should review the following topics to ensure that you have the information necessary to complete the configuration tasks:
See the following topics for further configuration considerations:
The following configuration tasks for EC2™ resources are described in this section. They are unique to an EC2™ resource instance and different for each recovery kit.
- Creating a Resource Hierarchy. Creates an application resource hierarchy in your LifeKeeper cluster.
- Deleting a Resource Hierarchy. Deletes a resource hierarchy from all servers in your LifeKeeper cluster.
- Extending Your Hierarchy. Extends a resource hierarchy from the primary server to a backup server.
- Unextending Your Hierarchy. Unextends (removes) a resource hierarchy from a single server in your LifeKeeper cluster.
- Viewing and Editing EC2™ Configuration Properties. Displays configuration details for an EC2™ resource and allows some of them to be modified.
- Adjusting Recovery Kit for EC2™ Tunable Values. Tunes characteristics of the overall behavior of the Recovery Kit for EC2™.
- Create a Resource Dependency. Creates a parent/child dependency between an existing resource hierarchy and another resource instance and propagates the dependency changes to all applicable servers in the cluster
- Delete a Resource Dependency. Deletes a resource dependency and propagates the dependency changes to all applicable servers in the cluster.
- In Service. Brings a resource hierarchy into service on a specific server.
- Out of Service. Takes a resource hierarchy out of service on a specific server.
- View Properties / Edit Properties View or edit the properties of a resource hierarchy on a specific server.
The rest of this section explains how to configure your recovery kit by selecting certain tasks from the Edit menu of the LifeKeeper GUI. You may also select each configuration task from the toolbar.
- Right-click on a global resource in the Resource Hierarchy Tree (left-hand pane) of the status display window to display the same drop down menu choices as the Edit menu. This is only an option when a hierarchy already exists.
- Right-click on a resource instance in the Resource Hierarchy Table (right-hand pane) of the status display window to perform all the configuration tasks, except Creating a Resource Hierarchy, depending on the state of the server and the particular resource.