Installing/Configuring PostgreSQL with LifeKeeper
The following sequence is recommended for installing and configuring the PostgreSQL database and LifeKeeper software. Each of these steps links to detailed tasks.
After you have performed these tasks, you will be ready to create the LifeKeeper resource hierarchy to protect your PostgreSQL database.
Resource Configuration Tasks
Once you have completed the setup tasks described in the previous section, you are ready to create and extend your PostgreSQL resource hierarchies.
The following tasks are available for configuring the LifeKeeper for Linux PostgreSQL Recovery Kit:
- Create Resource Hierarchy – Creates a PostgreSQL resource hierarchy.
- Delete Resource Hierarchy – Deletes a PostgreSQL resource hierarchy.
- Extend Resource Hierarchy – Extends a PostgreSQL resource hierarchy from the primary server to the backup server.
- Unextend Resource Hierarchy – Unextends (removes) a PostgreSQL resource hierarchy from a single server in the LifeKeeper cluster.
- Viewing PostgreSQL Configuration Settings – Allows viewing of the Resource Properties dialog.
Refer to the GUI Administrative Tasks section of the LifeKeeper for Linux Technical Documentation for instructions on configuring LifeKeeper Core resource hierarchies, for instance, file system and IP resources.
The following tasks are described in the Administration section within the LifeKeeper for Linux Technical Documentation because they are common tasks with steps that are identical across all Recovery Kits.
- Create a Resource Dependency. Creates a parent/child dependency between an existing resource hierarchy and another resource instance and propagates the dependency changes to all applicable servers in the cluster.
- Delete a Resource Dependency. Deletes a resource dependency and propagates the dependency changes to all applicable servers in the cluster.
- In Service. Brings a resource hierarchy into service on a specific server.
- Out of Service. Takes a resource hierarchy out of service on a specific server.
- View Properties. View the properties of a resource hierarchy on a specific server.
- Edit Properties. Edit the properties of a resource hierarchy on a specific server.
Note: The configuration tasks throughout this section are performed using the Edit menu. You may also perform most of the tasks:
- from the toolbar.
- by right-clicking on a global resource in the left pane of the status display.
- by right-clicking on a resource in the right pane of the status display.
Using the right-click method allows you to avoid entering information that is required using the Edit menu.