Install the PostgreSQL software on all servers in the cluster using identical parameters/settings. Refer to the PostgreSQL Administration Guide for details. The following are additional recommendations and reminders to ensure that LifeKeeper will work with PostgreSQL:
- The PostgreSQL client software packages must be installed. These packages must include the PostgreSQL psql client utility.
- The PostgreSQL server software packages must be installed. These packages must include the PostgreSQL pg_ctl and initdb utilities.
- The PostgreSQL client and server packages must be the same version on all servers.
- A PostgreSQL Operating System User must exist on all servers as follows:
º This PostgreSQL Operating System User should be designated as the owner of the PostgreSQL software installation and subdirectories.
º This PostgreSQL Operating System User must have authority to use the pg_ctl utility. The PostgreSQL Operating System User must be able to start and stop the postmaster instance using the pg_ctl commands.
º The PostgreSQL Operating System User name should contain alphanumeric characters only.
º The user id and group id of this PostgreSQL Operating System User must be identical on all servers.
- A PostgreSQL Database Administrator User must exist within the PostgreSQL database for LifeKeeper client connections through the psql utility.
º This PostgreSQL Database Administrator User must have the ability to connect to the database (template1), as well as obtain the listing of defined databases for the instance.
º This PostgreSQL Database Administrator User must have the ability to view system tables and make generalized queries.
º The PostgreSQL Database Administrator User is different from the PostgreSQL Operating System User, although they can have the same name.
º Example: PostgreSQL Operating System User=postgres, and PostgreSQL Database Administrator User=lkpostgres; or PostgreSQL Operating System User=postgres, and PostgreSQL Database Administrator User=postgres.
- Auto Startup at the time of system activation must be disabled because PostgreSQL server daemon is controlled by LifeKeeper.