The LifeKeeper Extend Resource Hierarchy option copies an existing hierarchy from one server and creates a similar hierarchy on another LifeKeeper server. Once a hierarchy is extended to other servers, cascading failover is available for that resource. The server where the existing hierarchy currently resides is referred to as the template server. The server where the new extended hierarchy will be placed is referred to as the target server.
The target server must be capable of supporting the extended hierarchy and it must be able to communicate with equivalent hierarchies on other remote servers (via active LifeKeeper communications paths). This means that all recovery kits associated with resources in the existing hierarchy must already be installed on the target server, as well as every other server where the hierarchy currently resides.
- There are five ways to extend a resource hierarchy through the GUI.
• Create a new resource hierarchy. When the dialog tells you that the hierarchy has been created, click on the Continue button to start extending your new hierarchy via the Pre-Extend Wizard.
• Right-click on a global or server-specific resource icon to bring up the resource context menu, then click on Extend Resource Hierarchy to extend the selected resource via the Pre-Extend Wizard.
• On the global toolbar, click on the Extend Resource Hierarchy button. When the Pre-Extend Wizard dialog appears, select a Template Server and a Tag to Extend, clicking on Next after each choice.
• On the resource context toolbar, if displayed, click on the Extend Resource Hierarchy button to bring up the Pre-Extend Wizard.
• On the Edit menu, select Resource, then click on Extend Resource Hierarchy. When the Pre-Extend Wizard dialog appears, select a Template Server and a Tag to Extend, clicking on Next after each choice.
- Either select the default Target Server or enter one from the list of choices, then click Next.
- Select the Switchback Type, then click Next.
- Either select the default or enter your own Template Priority, then click Next.
- Either select or enter your own Target Priority, then click Next.
- The dialog will then display the pre-extend checks that occur next. If these tests succeed, LifeKeeper goes on to perform any steps that are needed for the specific type of resource that you are extending.
The Accept Defaults button which is available for the Extend Resource Hierarchy option is intended for the user who is familiar with the LifeKeeper Extend Resource Hierarchy defaults, and wants to quickly extend a LifeKeeper resource hierarchy without being prompted for input or confirmation. Users who prefer to extend a LifeKeeper resource hierarchy using the interactive, step-by-step interface of the GUI dialogs should use the Next button.