Prior to installing SIOS DataKeeper, you should determine the network bandwidth requirements for replicating your current configuration whether you are employing virtual machines or using physical Linux servers. If you are employing virtual machines (VMs), use the method Measuring Rate of Change on a Linux System (Physical or Virtual) to measure the rate of change for the virtual machines that you plan to replicate. This value indicates the amount of network bandwidth that will be required to replicate the virtual machines.
After determining the network bandwidth requirements, ensure that your network is configured to perform optimally. If your network bandwidth requirements are above your current available network capacity, you may need to consider one or more of the following options:
- Enable compression in SIOS DataKeeper (or in the network hardware, if possible)
- Increase your network capacity
- Reduce the amount of data being replicated
- Create a local, non-replicated storage repository for temporary data and swap files
- Manually schedule replication to take place daily at off-peak hours
Post your comment on this topic.