This operation can be started from the Edit menu or initiated automatically upon completing the Create Resource Hierarchy option, in which case you should refer to Step 2 below.
- On the Edit menu, select Resource, then Extend Resource Hierarchy. The Pre-Extend Wizard appears. If you are unfamiliar with the Extend operation, click Next. If you are familiar with the SPS Extend Resource Hierarchy defaults and want to bypass the prompts for input/confirmation, click Accept Defaults.
- The Pre-Extend Wizard will prompt you to enter the following information.
- After receiving the message that the pre-extend checks were successful, click Next.
|Select the server where your Sybase ASE resource is currently in service.
|Tag to Extend
|Select the Sybase ASE resource you wish to extend.
|Enter or select the server you are extending to.
This determines how the Sybase ASE resource will be switched back tothe primary server after it comes in-service (active) on the backup server following a failover. You can choose either intelligent or automatic. The switchback type can be changed later, if desired, from the General tab of the Resource Properties dialog box.
Note: Remember that the switchback strategy must match that of the dependent resources to be used by the Sybase ASE resource.
Select or enter a Template Priority. This is the priority for the Sybase ASE hierarchy on the server where it is currently in service. Any unused priority value from 1 to 999 is valid, where a lower number means a higher priority (1=highest). The extend process will reject any priority for this hierarchy that is already in use by another system. The default value is recommended.
Note: This selection will appear only for the initial extend of the hierarchy.
|This is the priority for the new extended Sybase ASE hierarchy relative to equivalent hierarchies on other servers. Any unused priority value from 1 to 999 is valid, indicating a server’s priority in the cascading failover sequence for the resource. Note that SPS assigns the number “1” to the server on which the hierarchy is created by default. The priorities need not be consecutive, but no two servers can have the same priority for a given resource.
- Depending upon the hierarchy being extended, SPS will display a series of information boxes showing the Resource Tags to be extended, some of which cannot be edited.
- The Extend Wizard will prompt you to enter the following information.
- After receiving the message "Hierarchy extend operations completed". click Next Server to extend the hierarchy to another server, or click Finish if there is no other extend operations to perform.
|Sybase ASE Install Directory
|This field contains by default the Sybase ASE install path of the Template Resource. The valid Sybase ASE installation path should be specified. The valid characters allowed for the pathname are letters, digits, and the following special characters: – _ . /
|Sybase ASE Database Tag
|This is a unique tag name for the new Sybase ASE database resource on the primary server. The default tag name consists of the word sybase followed by the name of the Adaptive Server instance. You may type in another unique tag name. The valid characters allowed for the tag are letters, digits, and the following special characters: – _ . /
- After receiving the message "Hierarchy Verification Finished", click Done.