- Servers. This recovery kit requires two or more computers configured in accordance with the requirements described in the SPS for Linux Release Notes and the SPS for Linux Installation Guide, which are shipped with the product media.
- Data Storage. The LVM Recovery Kit can be used in conjunction both with shared storage and with replicated storage provided by the DataKeeper for Linux product. It cannot be used with network attached storage (NAS). Otherwise, the kit has no specific requirements on storage configurations beyond the requirements of the recovery kit protecting the application sitting on top of the logical volume(s).
- Operating System. LVM is included in all major Linux distributions. See the SPS for Linux Release Notes for a list of supported distributions and LVM versions.
- Logical Volume Manager. The recovery kit installation requires that the lvm orlvm2 rpm package be installed. This release of the SPS Logical Volume Manager Recovery Kit supports both LVM Version 1 and LVM Version 2 (LVM2). The specific versions of LVM supported are those delivered by the Linux distributions.
- SPS Software. You must install the same version of SPS core software and any recovery kits including the LVM Recovery Kit and any patches on each server. Please refer to the SPS for Linux Release Notes for specific SPS requirements.
- SPS for Linux Logical Volume Manager Recovery Kit. The Logical Volume Manager Recovery Kit is provided on the SPS Installation Image File (sps.img). It is packaged, installed and removed via the Red Hat Package Manager, rpm: steeleye-lkLVM.
During package installation, checks are made to ensure that supported versions of both the SPS Core package and the LVM package are present on the system where the LVM Recovery Kit is being installed. The SPS for Linux Release Notes contains information on the required versions of these packages.
Refer to the SPS for Linux Installation Guide for instructions on how to install or remove the SPS Core software and the LVM Recovery Kit.
The LVM Recovery Kit must be installed on each server in the cluster on which LVM is being used to manage disk resources that are to be protected by SPS.
The LVM Recovery Kit must be installed prior to the hierarchy creation and extension of applications that sit on top of an LVM volume.