To create a resource instance from the primary server, complete the following steps:
- From the LifeKeeper GUI menu, select Edit, then Server. From the drop down menu, select Create Resource Hierarchy.
- A dialog box will appear with a drop down list showing all of the recognized recovery kits installed within the cluster. Select “Amazon EC2” from the drop down list and click Next.
- You will be prompted to enter the following information. (When the Back button is active in any of the dialog boxes, you can go back to the previous dialog box. This is especially helpful in the event that you need to correct previously entered information.)
|Switchback Type|| This dictates how the EC2 resource will be switched back to this server when the server comes back up after a failover. You can choose either intelligent or automatic.
|Server||Select the Server for the EC2 resource (typically this is referred to as the primary or template server). All the servers in your cluster are included in the drop down list.|
|EC2 Resource type|| The EC2 Recovery Kit™ provides protection for two AWS recovery scenarios. The Route Table and Elastic IP scenario.
The Route Table scenario is used in conjunction with a local virtual IP address and is typically used for Backend Clusters.
The Elastic IP scenario is used for protection of an Elastic IP and is typically used for Frontend Clusters.
Select the EC2™ type to be used.
|IP resource||This field will only appear and be set in the Route Table scenario. Select the IP resource. This is the virtual IP resource that is protected by LifeKeeper and configured in the Route Table address in the VPC. Note: The list will only show IP resources that are ISP and IPv4 based.|
|Network Interface||This field will only appear and be set in the Elastic IP scenario. Select the Network Interface to associate with Elastic IPs.|
|Elastic IP||This field will only appear and be set in the Elastic IP scenario. Select the Elastic IP to be related to the network interface.|
|EC2™ Resource Tag||Select or enter a unique EC2 Resource Tag name for the EC2 resource instance you are creating.This field is populated automatically with a default tag name, ec2-<resource>, where <resource> is the resource name. This tag can be changed.|
- Click Create. The Create Resource Wizard will then create your EC2 resource.
- At this point, an information box appears and LifeKeeper will validate that you have provided valid data to create your EC2 resource hierarchy. If LifeKeeper detects a problem an ERROR will appear in the information box. If the validation is successful your resource will be created. Click Next.
Another information box will appear confirming that you have successfully created an EC2 resource hierarchy. You must extend that hierarchy to another server in your cluster in order to place it under LifeKeeper protection.
When you click Continue, LifeKeeper will launch the Pre-Extend configuration task. Refer to Extending Your Hierarchy for details on how to extend your resource hierarchy to another server.
If you click Cancel now, another dialog box will appear alerting you that you will need to manually extend your EC2 resource hierarchy to another server at some other time to put it under LifeKeeper protection.