The LAN Manager Recovery Kit provides a way to create a computer alias name with associated file shares. The computer alias name acts as a “switchable” computer name, and its associated file shares become available on the system that has the LifeKeeper for Windows LAN Manager hierarchy in service. In addition, an IP address can be associated with the computer alias name as part of the hierarchy.
- Select the server, and then select Create Resource Hierarchy from the server context menu or server context toolbar.
- The Create Protected Application window appears displaying the Primary and Backup Servers in your cluster. If not already selected, choose the appropriate systems to configure. Click Next.
- A dialog appears with a list of all recognized recovery kits installed within the cluster. Select LAN Manager and click Next.
- The Configuration Wizard will prompt you to enter the following information. When the Back button is active in any of the dialog boxes, you can go back to the previous dialog box. This is especially helpful should you encounter an error that might require you to correct previously entered information. If you click Cancel at any time during the sequence of creating your hierarchy, LifeKeeper for Windows will cancel the entire creation process.
|Computer Alias Name
|Enter a name to be used for the computer alias, or you can accept the default name offered by LifeKeeper for Windows.
|LAN Manager Resource Tag
Select or enter a unique tag for the LAN Manager resource instance you are creating. This field provides a default tag name (the same as the computer alias name entered in the previous step) which you can change if desired.
Note: The tag name must consist of printable ASCII characters.
- After all of the data is entered, the Next button will appear. When you click Next, LifeKeeper for Windows will create and validate your resource hierarchy.
- After receiving the message that the resource hierarchy has been created successfully, click Next to continue. If LifeKeeper for Windows has detected a problem, an ERROR will appear in the information box, the partially created resource hierarchy will be removed, and the Next button will be disabled. In that case, click Cancel to exit the Wizard.