Some requirements should be met when using this configuration. Below is a summary of requirements for the AWS environment and instances created on it.
Requirements for AWS environment
Create a base environment on AWS to provide services. The requirements for using this configuration are as follows.
Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
- Two or more VPCs must be created.
VPCs can be created either in the same region or different region.
- VPCs must be connected using a VPC peering connection.
If more than three VPCs are created, either connect each VPC with VPC peering, or connect each VPC in a star configuration via AWS Transit Gateway.
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
- At least 1 instance is required for each EC2 instance.
- EC2 Instances are connected to Elastic Network Interface (ENI).
- EC2 Instances are required to satisfy LifeKeeper’s installation requirements.
- AWS Command Line Interface (AWS CLI) version 2 needs to be installed in each of EC2 instances. For the details, please refer to Installing or updating the latest version of the AWS CLI.
- Instances need to have an access to route53.amazonaws.com with HTTPS protocol. Please configure EC2 and the OS properly
AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM)
In order for LifeKeeper for Windows to operate in AWS, IAM user or IAM role with the following access privilege is required. Please configure Amazon EC2 IAM role or configure AWS CLI appropriately so that it can be accessed from root user of the EC2 instance.
Amazon Route 53
- You need to register your domain name on Amazon Route 53 to use the service. This is required to create a Route53 resource.
Peering Requirements for Connecting to a LifeKeeper Cluster using AWS
You need to install the same version of LifeKeeper software and patches on each server. The Application Recovery Kit required for this configuration is Recovery Kit for Route 53™ and other Recovery Kits necessary for the protected services. You also need the IP Recovery Kit to use the Application Recovery Kit, which requires IP resources.
For the specific LifeKeeper requirements, please refer to: LifeKeeper for Windows Technical Documentation and LifeKeeper for Windows Release Notes.
Other AWS VPC Requirements
Requirements for using this service from other VPCs are as follows:
- Clients using the service should be able to resolve names of the hosts that are protected by Route53 resources.
- Clients using the service should access with the host name protected by Route53 resource.