About LifeKeeper for Windows
LifeKeeper for Windows integrates high availability clustering and data replication functionality to protect mission-critical data and applications. LifeKeeper for Windows also integrates with SIOS Application Recovery Kits, which provide application-aware agents for SQL Server and Oracle and more enabling you to make more informed recovery decisions.
LifeKeeper for Windows Integrated Components
LifeKeeper for Windows provides a fault resilient software solution to provide high availability for data, applications, and communications resources. LifeKeeper does not require any customized, fault-tolerant hardware. You simply group two or more systems and enter site-specific configuration data. Then, LifeKeeper automatically provides fault detection and recovery.
In case of a failure, LifeKeeper migrates protected resources from the failed system to the backup system. Users experience a brief interruption during the actual switchover, but LifeKeeper automatically restores operations on the backup system when it completes the failover recovery.
SIOS DataKeeper is a highly optimized host-based replication solution which ensures your data is replicated as quickly and as efficiently as possible from your source server across the network to one or more target servers.
Optional Microsoft SQL Server Recovery Kit provides granular visibility into SQL Server so you can ensure your systems are properly responding – not just running.
The LifeKeeper for Windows family of products includes software that allows you to provide failover protection for a range of system resources. The figure below demonstrates LifeKeeper for Windows’ flexibility and identifies the resource types you can specify for automatic recovery:
- Volume. With LifeKeeper’s volume resource type, you can protect data and applications on shared SCSI peripherals or replicated volumes by creating a resource in the LifeKeeper for Windows hierarchy for the disk volume containing those resources.
- File share. LifeKeeper for Windows’ File Share resource lets you protect a specific folder or directory on a shared drive.
- Computer alias name. LifeKeeper for Windows’ LAN Manager Recovery Kit enables automatic failover of the computer alias name for applications that communicate to the server via NetBEUI.
- Communications resources.
- LifeKeeper for Windows’ IP Recovery Kit allows you to create resources that enable switchover of IP addresses.
- LifeKeeper for Windows’ DNS Recovery Kit provides a mechanism to update DNS A and PTR records.
- Database application. LifeKeeper for Windows provides an optional Recovery Kit for Microsoft SQL Server.
- Generic applications. LifeKeeper for Windows’ Generic Application Recovery Kit allows the creation of resources for an application that has no predefined recovery kit.
LifeKeeper for Windows supports N-Way recovery for a range of resource types. N-way recovery allows different resources to fail over to different backup servers in a cluster.
See LifeKeeper for Windows Core Software for the core components available with LifeKeeper for Windows.