SIOS Protection Suite/LifeKeeper Core Software
SIOS Protection Suite for Windows Core includes LifeKeeper and the basic LifeKeeper software packages, DataKeeper and the Core Recovery Kits.
- LifeKeeper – The LifeKeeper for Windows core includes the basic LifeKeeper software packages plus the Core Recovery Kits.
• LifeKeeper Configuration Database (LCD) – The LCD stores information about the LifeKeeper-protected resources. This includes information on resource instances, dependencies, shared equivalencies, recovery direction, and LifeKeeper operational flags. The data is cached in shared memory and stored in files so that the data can be remembered over system boots.
• LCD Interface (LCDI) – The LCDI queries the configuration database (LCD) to satisfy requests for data or modifications to data stored in the LCD. The LCDI may also be used by the Application Recovery Kit to obtain resource state or description information.
• LifeKeeper Communications Manager (LCM) – The LCM is used to determine the status of servers in the cluster and for LifeKeeper inter-process communication (local and remote). Loss of LCM communication across all communication paths on a server in the cluster indicates the server has failed.
• LifeKeeper Alarm Interface – The LifeKeeper Alarm Interface provides the infrastructure for triggering an event. The sendevent program is called by application daemons when a failure is detected in a LifeKeeper-protected resource. The sendevent program communicates with the LCD to determine if recovery scripts are available.
• LifeKeeper Recovery Action and Control Interface (LRACI) – The LRACI determines the appropriate recovery script to execute for a resource and invokes the appropriate restore / remove scripts for the resource.
• LifeKeeper GUI – The LifeKeeper GUI is a client/server application that provides a graphical administration interface to LifeKeeper and its configuration data. The LifeKeeper GUI client is implemented as both a stand-alone application and as a Java applet invoked from a web browser.
- DataKeeper – The DataKeeper package provides real-time data replication that allows you to keep Windows Server data in sync across multiple servers and data centers.
SIOS Protection Suite/LifeKeeper Core Recovery Kits
The Core Recovery Kits provide all fault detection and recovery mechanisms and the definitions necessary to provide SIOS Protection Suite protection for volumes (drive letters), file shares, communications resources and Microsoft Internet Information Server.
- Volume Recovery Kit – Allows you to create a resource to protect an entire shared or mirrored drive (for instance, the K: drive).
- LAN Manager Recovery Kit – Enables automatic recovery of the computer alias name and Windows file share lists. The LAN Manager resource lets you create a“switchable” computer name for applications that communicate with the server via NetBEUI, or system name. It includes the File Share recovery component.
- IP Recovery Kit – Provides a mechanism to recover a “switchable” IP address from a failed primary server to one or more backup servers in a SIOS Protection Suite environment. A switchable IP address is a virtual IP address that can switch between servers and is separate from the IP address associated with the network interface card of each server. Applications under SIOS Protection Suite protection are associated with the switchable IP address, so if there is a failure on the primary server, the switchable IP address becomes associated with the backup server This kit also provides local recovery of the IP resource.
- DNS Recovery Kit – Provides a mechanism to update DNS A and PTR records of the primary server or an alias name. After a failover or switchover to the backup server, the A record and the associated PTR record (if exists) of the primary server or alias name will be updated with the IP address of the backup server.
- Microsoft IIS Recovery Kit – Protects Web, FTP and SMTP services of the Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). It continuously monitors the health of your Internet servers, and if a problem arises, provides automatic failover of the affected web server to a backup server.
- Generic Application Recovery Kit – Allows the creation of resources for an application that has no predefined recovery kit.