Steps to Upgrade Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version for SIOS Protection Suite for Windows
- Download and install the latest 32-bit JRE from java.com. (Note: Make sure you are downloading the 32-bit Java.)
- Run the installer. The first screen for the installer will have a check box to change the location of the destination folder. This box SHOULD be checked.
- As the Java installer proceeds select a new subfolder in c:\lk (e.g. c:\lk\jre1.8) as the destination folder.
- Repeat the above procedure (Steps 1-3) on the other node(s).
- Stop LifeKeeper on the backup node(s).
net stop lifekeeper
- Edit the registry keys.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SteelEye\LifeKeeper\JavaGUI : JavaVersion from “1.8.0_101” to “1.8”
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SteelEye\LifeKeeper\JavaGUI\Server : JavaVersion from “1.8.0_101” to “1.8”
- If firewall is enabled, open the “Windows firewall inbound rule” LifeKeeper Java” and edit the property “Programs and Services” tab and select the Java executable (e.g. c:\lk\jre1.8\bin\java.exe).
Change the description to state that it is for Java JRE <version number>.
Also update or create a “LifeKeeper Java Launcher” rule and edit the property “Programs and Services” tab and select the Java executable (e.g. c:\lk\jre1.8\bin\jp2launcher.exe).
Verify that all firewall rule changes are correct.
- Start LifeKeeper.
net start lifekeeper
- Repeat Steps 5-8 on other backup nodes (if any).
- Log in to SIOS Protection Suite and switch the hierarchy to the backup node.
- Repeat the procedure (Steps 5-8) on the primary node.
- Bring the hierarchy in service on the primary node.
At this point, SIOS Protection Suite has been upgraded using the latest version of Java.
- If a repair is done on your SIOS Protection Suite installation using the installer/repair option, repeat the above Step 6 as a repair will reset the registry settings. The directory created in Step 3 should be intact.
- When uninstalling SIOS Protection Suite, the directory created in Step 3 will need to be manually removed.
- The above steps assume that SIOS Protection Suite was installed in the default folder c:\lk. If not, change accordingly and replace c:\lk with the appropriate subdirectory.