Configuration 1: Active/Standby Configuration Example
In this configuration, Guest 1 on ESXi Host 1 is considered active because it is able to access the virtual hard disk with the VMDK Recovery Kit software. If Guest 1 fails, Guest 2 gains access to the VMDK and the file system.
- he VMDK Recovery Kit must be installed on both servers.
- Create the file system on the shared VMDK virtual hard disk.
- Guest 2 should not access files and directories on the shared virtual disk while Guest 1 is active.
Configuration 2: Active/Active Configuration Example
An active/active configuration consists of two or more systems actively running the VMDK Recovery Kit software and connecting different virtual hard disks.
- The VMDK Recovery Kit must be installed on both servers.
- Initially, Guest 1 imports a file system and Guest 2 imports a different file system. In a switchover situation, one system can import both file systems.