Use this option to protect a raw device resource. For example, if you create additional table space on a raw device that needs to be added to an existing database hierarchy, you would use this option to create a raw device resource.
- There are four ways to begin creating a raw device resource hierarchy.
º Right-click on a server icon to bring up the server context menu, then click on Create Resource Hierarchy.
º On the global toolbar, click on the Create Resource Hierarchy button.
º On the server context toolbar, if displayed, click on the Create Resource Hierarchy button.
º On the Edit menu, select Server, then click on Create Resource Hierarchy.
- A dialog entitled Create Resource Wizard will appear with a Recovery Kit list. Select Raw Device and click Next.
- Select the Switchback Type and click Next.
- Select the Server and click Next.
Note: If you began from the server context menu, the server will be determined automatically from the server icon that you clicked on, and this step will be skipped.
- Select the Raw Partition on a shared storage device where this resource will reside, and click Next.
- Enter the Root Tag, which is a unique name for the resource instance. (This is the label you will see for this resource in the status display.)
- Click Create Instance to start the creation process. A window titled Creating scsi/raw resource will display text indicating what is happening during creation.
- Click Next. A window will display a message that the hierarchy has been created successfully.
- At this point, you can click Continue to move on the extending the raw resource hierarchy, or you can click Cancel to return to the GUI. If you click Cancel, you will receive a message warning that your hierarchy exists on only one server, and it is not protected at this point