SIOS iQ is a powerful tool that helps optimize and enables automation of a continuously self-adjusting and optimizing virtual infrastructure. Its unique approach focuses on having a comprehensive and converged view of workloads, compute, storage, and network components in an infrastructure. The data collected from the converged view are used by its unique self-adaptive analytics engine. The engine leverages advanced machine learning techniques that provide correlation, forecasting, prediction, and simulation of the infrastructure and key metrics. SIOS iQ leverages the analytics engine to help optimize virtual and cloud environments for performance, resources, and availability.
- Performance Optimization – This includes features that help maintain predictable performance and service levels, improve performance of environment, and help diagnose and mitigate anomalies or other problems impacting workload performance.
- Resource Optimization – This includes features that increase utilization rates of hardware, decrease amount of waste in environment, optimize the use of compute, storage, and network components, and help to make intelligent forecast and planning decisions.
SIOS iQ makes it possible to analyze the infrastructure and diagnose problems using one common tool across the organization. It also makes recommendations for and provides an option to automate continuous optimization of the infrastructure. All of the value is presented through a browser-based, responsive, touch optimized user interface that may be accessed on desktops, laptops, or tablets. It is this unique approach of combining a converged view of the infrastructure, industry leading machine learning methods to provide analytics, a focus on performance and resource optimization, and a strong emphasis on providing a good user experience through the user interface that enables SIOS iQ to provide real value to organizations (see figure 1).
To deliver the full value of optimizing virtual environments, SIOS iQ emphasizes four modes of operation in which a user interfaces with the product (Analysis, Diagnosis, Recommendations, Automation). These modes of operation are accessible directly through the user interface components covered below.
- Analysis – This covers the majority of the interaction that the user has with the product. The user can easily view and report on trends and forecast critical parameters such as storage capacity. The user can also identify performance bottlenecks that may limit resource utilization (hardware components, network bandwidth, etc.) in order to fully optimize resources. This allows the user to obtain an enhanced view of the interaction between all of the components (workloads, compute, storage, and network) in the infrastructure.
- Diagnosis – SIOS iQ simplifies diagnosis of problems across compute, storage, and network that can impact the performance and reliability of the applications. In addition, SIOS iQ can identify problems and recommend solutions to the user (see Recommendations).
- Recommendations – In Analysis and Diagnosis the user proactively engages with the product to manage the optimization of the infrastructure. SIOS iQ recommends actions to the user such as move VMs to different hosts, resize VMs, shut down VMs, and assign the most optimal failover hosts. This provides the user with the analysis, the identified issue (or potential issue), and the solution. The user has the option to manually implement the recommendation.
- Automation (Coming Soon) – Users can also set automation levels for specific actions, categories of functionality, or specific VMs, or environments. In automation mode, SIOS iQ automatically implements the recommended solution and provides the user with a history of actions, the impacted components, and the reason the solution was implemented.
Comprehensive View of the Infrastructure
SIOS iQ is a leading edge analytics tool that allows users to focus on the complete view of their infrastructure (workload, compute, storage, waste, and network). This allows the user to maximize their resources across all of the components in their environment.
Delivering Value Through the User Interface
The user interface is a major component of SIOS iQ and has several modes of operation as described above. The SIOS iQ interface contains several main components as described below.
- SIOS PERC Dashboard™ – The SIOS PERC Dashboard gives a high level overview of performance, resource utilization, service levels, and availability across compute, storage, and network. It also allows the user to diagnose specific problems or anomalies in the infrastructure. The user can drill down on individual components and panels within the dashboard and change the selection filter to a specific area/level to get a more detailed view. The PERC (Performance, Efficiency, Reliability, Capacity) Dashboard displays information at the aggregate level as well as highlights specific problems or warnings in VM(s), host(s), network or storage components within the specified filter level. It captures current states, displays historical data, and forecasts key trends.
- PERC Topology – The SIOS PERC Topology environmental view enables users to easily understand the overall and specific health of their environments and clusters. It gives IT an instantaneous view of operating status across all four key service dimensions: Performance, Efficiency, Reliability and Capacity utilization. The topology view is segmented by environment and color-coded by issue severity.
- PERC Issue List – The PERC Issue List gives you insight into the status of your systems. It lists identified issues and relevant information, determines the root cause, and recommends actions regarding the issue.
- Meta Analysis – Meta Analysis drastically reduces problem identification to a very small number of recurring anomalous behavior patterns and their root cause(s). IT admins can manage even the largest and “noisiest” environments and can gain insights instantaneously, eliminating hours or days of trial-and-error guesswork when trying to understand and mitigate a problem affecting infrastructure operations and application service delivery.
- Performance Forecasting Dashboard – The Performance Forecasting Dashboard provides a daily visual 7-day forecast of predicted Performance Issues due to the computational resource limitations associated with environment configuration. The forecast is accompanied by a navigable Issue List that enables detailed investigation of specific predicted issues.
- Performance Root Cause Dashboard – The Performance Root Cause Dashboard shows any infrastructure component events that may affect performance. SIOS iQ learns the behavior of each individual object in the environment leveraging the principles of machine learning and topological behavior analysis. It correlates the anomalies to derive the relationships and determine the root cause of the problem (such as object or event).
- Storage Acceleration Dashboard – Storage Acceleration Analysis enables you to quickly identify the most appropriate workloads to cache. SIOS iQ displays the VM candidates in the Storage Acceleration Dashboard when the specified policy values are met or exceeded.
- Oversized VMs Dashboard – The Oversized VMs Dashboard shows VMs that have consistently underutilized available resources (according to configurable usage parameters) and should be evaluated for the opportunity to reclaim resources as recommended by SIOS iQ.
- Undersized VMs Dashboard – The Undersized VMs Dashboard shows VMs that have repeatedly high utilization for either vCPU or vRAM (or both), and should be evaluated to provide additional resources recommended by SIOS iQ to avoid potential impact on the application.
- Efficiency Dashboard – The Efficiency Dashboard highlights the wasted resources that can be reclaimed within the infrastructure along with the source of the waste.
- Rogue VM Instances Dashboard – The Rogue VM Instances Dashboard provides a list of any “rogue” virtual machines that have been found. A rogue virtual machine instance occurs when the virtual disk files for a virtual machine are found on a datastore without a known virtual machine in the virtual environment.
- Capacity Forecasting Dashboard – This dashboard provides access to the current storage capacity profile for all Datastores, including capacity forecasts based upon recent trend analysis.
- System Health Dashboard (Coming Soon) – The System Health Dashboard contains a summary of health alerts related to PERC across compute, storage, and network. Health alerts are classified by severity: “Critical”, “Warning”, and “Informational”. The dashboard lists the type of alert (availability, service violation, anomaly, forecast, etc.), the severity, the impacted object(s), and details. The alert may be tied to a recommendation and/or general notification. The user can select a specific health alert for details.
- Availability Dashboard (Coming Soon) – The Availability Dashboard summarizes the availability status of the VMs, the current host, and the failover host (if any is selected). Users can select a new failover host for any VM through the dashboard. Any VM or host that is not available is highlighted. If the failover host is no longer optimal it is highlighted.
The specific objects include:
- VMs and the availability state
- Current Host associated with the VM and its availability state
- Failover Host (if any is selected) for the VM, its availability state, and its optimality ranking (ranking of 1 means it is the most optimal failover host for the associated VM)
- Recommendations – SIOS iQ provides recommendations for specific actions (e.g. move VM, resize VM, shutdown VM, delete VM, add storage capacity). These actions help optimize the infrastructure for performance and resources as well as maintain service levels (described under feature). A recommendation includes the category (performance, service levels, availability, etc.), the severity, a summary, the recommended action, and the impacted object(s).
- Automation (Coming Soon) – Once the recommendation is selected the user can acknowledge, implement the action, snooze, or ignore the recommendation. Any recommended action implemented by SIOS iQ will be captured as a Task. The user can set an automation level for categories of recommendations for future actions. In automation level, SIOS iQ automatically implements the action and records it as a Task. The user can view all of the tasks implemented. Select a recommendation for more detail.